How I Organize my Coupons
>> May 6, 2009
Organizing Coupons
There are so many ways to organize your coupons. I don't think there is a wrong way or a right way, you just need to find what really works for you. Some people get a binder with trading card pages and fill it full of coupons. Others use the little coupon accordion style coupon organizers you can buy in the stores. There are briefcases with alphabetized coupons. Some just stack up their inserts into a bin. I have tried so many different ways including most all of those types. And they each have their benefits and drawbacks. This is what has worked best for me.
What I use:
For my Sunday Newspaper Inserts (I get multiples Sunday papers each week):
I use a hanging file folder like this one (Walmart--box $5 , Folders $6):
I organize it by Month and by Insert. For Example I have:
-Jan SmartSource Insert folder.
- Jan Red Plum Insert folder
-Feb SmartSource insert folder
-Feb Red Plum Insert folder
and so on..
For all my tearpad coupons, blinkie coupons and homemailer ones I file them in an alphabetized accordion type organizer you can pick up just about anywhere.
And thats how I organize my coupons! How do you organize yours?















11 comments:
I have each months worth of inserts in a gallon size ziplock bag. I write the date on the front and just stack all the SS amd RP together. These ziplocks are all in a big box at the foot of my bed. In theory, I TRY to cut out one copy of each insert and put in my little organizers like you have, but it has NOT been happening lately. I also add peelies and blinkies to my organizer. It is chaos really, but with 10 copies of each insert some weeks, what is a couponer to do....I may have to break down and buy a box with file folders like you-we'll see:)
So how do you deal with clearance items and unadvertised specials? I take ALL my coupons with me every time I shop in case I come across a deal I didn't know about. Do you take notes and return later with your coupons?
Where do you go to get your multiple newspapers? I've heard you can buy them at Walmart at discounted price. Does anyone know if this is true?
It never even dawned on me to orgazine them alphabetically. Great idea! I use 2 accordian style folders that I keep in my purse.
To answer Cris' question, yes you can get the Sunday paper for $1.00 at Walmart, I have bought it there several times.
Cindy, I normally try to do most of my shopping one day a week. Going to like 3-4 stores to do my couponing just takes so much time(I am gone for hours. Most of the time I just have enough time to do the shopping I need to do and get home. Or I have a cranky kiddo with me that doesnt want to shop with me anymore after the 2nd store..so time is always of the essence for me. So normally I do not worry about clearance-with coupons(I know, right? *gasp*). If I had a lot of time on my hands..I could always grab my bin, and coupon organizers, leave them in the car, go shopping and if I see something on clearance I could go out and search for coupons in the car. I do have a few more years until all my children are in school and then I will have nearly all day to clearance-type shop. :)
Cris-Dollar Tree sells Sunday papers for $1.....but I honestly don't pay for the paper anymore. I just get it free: from the library, recycling bins, neighbors, the hospital, any place I come across one really!
I do what you do-except that I lay out all inserts and combine pages from each of the inserts and staple them together-so I just have to leaf through one "set" of combined paged inserts and therefore can clip all 6 coupons at once. I also tend to clip and file my "take to store coupon organizer", the coupons I know I could always use-such as eggs, bread, milk, lunch meat, etc.
Shari..I love that idea about the stapling!..cool.
I use the accordian folders like you but am looking to upsize. I think I'm going to use your method for setting up a folder system. I also LOVE your idea of alphabetizing them! I think I'll redo my accordian that way.
BTW, I have a post on my blog right now with a link to Safeway where you can get 2 lbs of strawberries for FREE! Check it out!
Becky - Thanks for telling me about the The Dollar Tree! I do get a few free here and there where I can find them. But when I know in advance of some really good q's coming out I want to make sure I get my share! He He!
And I think I'm going to use Shari's idea too! I hate it when I pull an insert and all the pages come flying out! Especially if it's been previously clipped.
I use the accordion style of organizing my coupons. I divide them by category so when I'm out and about I quickly access the coupon I need. My categories are Food/Groceries, Health/Hygiene (hair cuts, coupons on medications, boy wash, etc), Restaurants/Entertainment, Home Improvement, Shopping (this is for the coupons at book stores, dept stores, and gift cards). It's quick and simple. Every wk to month depending on how much time I have a clean it out.
Post a Comment