Coupon Basics for Newbies!
>> April 10, 2009
Where do you get coupons you ask?
--Sunday paper Inserts:
The Sunday paper carries little coupon booklets in them called inserts. These inserts carry lots of coupons in them. There are 4 main types of inserts: SmartSource (SS), RedPlum (RP) and Procter &Gamble (P&G) and Unilever.

I recommend having a subscription to the Sunday paper for as many people as there are in your family. Example..I have a family of 6 so I would get 6 Sunday papers to meet my couponing needs. But if there is just one of you.. get one Sunday paper.
Too cheap to pay for a subscription? Ask your neighbors, friends, and family for theirs.
You could also check local recycling centers or recycling bins nearby.
--Internet Printable Coupons:
Print coupons from your computer! Some sites require you to register your information to print.
Here are the most common sites to print from.
Coupons.com
Betty Crocker
Box Tops For Education
Smartsource
Coupons In the Stores:
Blinkies -- are those little blinking machines in stores that spit out coupons. When you go shopping, collect a few of each one as you walk by.

Tearpads-- These are little coupons in a tearpad. Take a few of these if you see them as well. They have these in grocery stores/drug stores as well as gas stations.

Peelies-- These are little peel-able coupons on products.

Catalinas-- These coupons print on a receipt-like piece of paper at the register. Sometimes they are for products and sometimes they are $ off any in-store purchase.

Wine Tags--sometimes you can find $ off meat, cheese, produce ect. These are golden. Look for things hanging around the necks of wine bottles.

Other ways:
HomeMailers-- You can contact a company and compliment or complain to them about their products. They often will send you coupons. I will definitely talk more about these in the future.
Magazines - The All You magazine has a lot of coupons in it. Make sure and check your own personal magazines, you could find coupons in them.
Keep all the coupons! Don’t get rid of anything unless it’s expired!
You never know what will be free or a moneymaker!















6 comments:
Great article- some really good tips and I love the pics! I found that my local dollar store (Dollar Tree) sells the Sunday papers- for $1!! I grab 5 there every week! :)
Devon
www.mamacheaps.com
I am curious to know which paper you order? Do you get any kind of a deal for buying multiples?
I love the Seattle papers as they have better inserts. The dollar store is great. Sometimes I even go in on Wednesday and ask the manager for a discount -- they sometimes sell them to me for .50 each. Most of the time I get a lot of inserts by recycle bin DIVING. :)
Thanks for all the tips ;) I have wanted to do the recycle diving...did you find out if it is okay in Seattle?
Do they sell the Seattle papers in tri-cities? And at the dollar store?
I just saw you on the local news tonight and had to check out your blog! I am so excited to start learning more about couponing! A few other ladies I follow in bloggy land are really into couponing too, but it will be nice to learn from someone local and who shops at the same stores I do!
Feel free to stop by my blog anytime!
~Jennifer
Post a Comment